Login / Register

Leaky eDrometer

 
I bought an eDrometer early on and have used it extensively, along with my Tilt and Hanna digital refractometer.
 
When I went to use it today, it appeared to be leaking:eek:.
 
Closer inspection showed the silicone tubing was cracking near the entrance to the device.
 
I went to my trusty computer to see if this was something that was fixable, but when I attempted to access the STM Instrument site, all I got was:
 
HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.
 
Their Facebook Page also shows little or no activity.
 
Looking around some more, I noticed that Mile High Distilling still has a few in stock, so if I really wanted another one, I still might be able to get one.
 
Since the one year warranty had long ago passed, I figured I’d have little to lose by tearing into it to see if it could be fixed.
 
After some gentle poking and prying, I found that the top plastic cover could be removed as it was only secured with some food-grade silicone sealant.
 
Here’s what I found underneath:
 
OK, this looks salvageable 
 
I trimmed the external tubing and re-connected it, ran a few tests, and it seems to work fine 
 
I’m ordering new tubing from McMaster-Carr, and will replace it all when it gets here.
 
Since I’m more interested in function over form, I probably won’t put the cap back on as long as it works.

Leave a Reply